No matter who you are, no matter where you’re from, one truth stands evident: everyone can appreciate a good spring roll! Whether you prefer them fresh or crispy and fried, the contrast between the crisp veggies and salty, savory filling is impossible to forget. Now, with help from this vegan spring rolls recipe from Beyond Sushi in NYC, anyone can enjoy all the same flavors, regardless of cultural or dietary needs!
The brilliant minds behind the Beyond Sushi kitchen designed our specialty menu with a clear, driven purpose in mind: to showcase how delicious a healthy, compassionate lifestyle can be. Today, we continue that mission with easy-to-follow, at-home recipes that even the newest of home chefs can recreate.
Best Vegan Spring Rolls in NYC
Attempting to trace the history of the classic spring roll is a little like trying to grasp smoke with your bare hands. Why? Because this dish comes from a variety of countries and cultures across Asia, each of which has a unique twist. While some prefer fried and crunchy appetizers, others take a lighter approach, heavily relying on a delicious, homemade sauce to provide the bulk of the flavor.
Now, the most beloved vegan sushi restaurant in New York City is excited to present their own modern take on this ancient classic.
Rather than depending on seafood or pork as the base for our dish, we keep it fresh, using only wholesome, locally sourced ingredients whenever and however possible. Our crispy spring rolls are made filling with a combination of braised shiitake mushrooms and seared chick’n, with fresh bean sprouts for an additional crunch.
Enjoy these flavorful snacks as they are, or take advantage of our rice wine vinegar and mustard seed dipping sauce for even more mind-blowing flavor.
Vegan Spring Rolls Recipe
Our chefs put countless hours of their world-renowned experience into every bite on our menu, but that doesn’t mean you have to be professionally trained to enjoy a hint of this flavor at home. Follow this easy guide to enjoy fresh, vegan spring rolls right from the comfort of your own kitchen.
- 20 spring roll wrappers
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 small white cabbage
- 4 ounces of extra firm tofu
- 1 large carrot
- 4 spring onions
- vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 1 pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Begin this recipe by shredding the cabbage. In a medium bowl, mix the cabbage with salt and set it aside. As the cabbage sits, it will slowly start to release some of its liquid. In fifteen minutes, squeeze out the liquid.
- Next, shred your carrot, spring onions, and tofu. Mix this in with the cabbage, tossing all ingredients until they are thoroughly combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch to form a paste. This will help the spring rolls seal and prevent them from unwrapping as they fry.
- Working one roll at a time, carefully fill and wrap your spring rolls. Fold them as tightly as possible; just before sealing, brush a small amount of your cornstarch paste across the edge to hold each roll together.
- Fill a small pot with roughly 3 inches of oil. Heat this oil until it reaches around 370 degrees Fahrenheit. Gently fry each spring roll for around four minutes until it is crispy and golden brown. Be sure to flip the roll to ensure even cooking. After removing each spring roll from the oil, allow it to rest on a towel or over a cookie sheet, to remove any excess grease.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, white sugar, and chili flakes to form your dip. As soon as your spring rolls have cooled enough to enjoy, get ready to dip and dig in!
Unforgettable Plates at Beyond Sushi
Just because an appetizer or snack may not make up the bulk of a meal doesn’t mean they deserve to be neglected. Rather, a small plate well-done can do the exact opposite. Set the tone for your day with a delectable assortment of snackable treats.
For an easy way to lift up your day, just order using our online pickup and delivery system. Let Beyond Sushi bring the flavor to you!