Some soups are rich and hearty; others are light and brothy: the crowd-pleasing, classic ramen soup somehow manages to be both. Typically served in a rich seafood broth, this dish often falls off the list of cruelty-free dishes. Luckily, with help from the culinary genius at City Roots Hospitality and this spicy miso ramen recipe from Beyond Sushi in NYC, diners from every walk of life can enjoy the same rich, delicious flavor, free of moral compromise!
As always, Beyond Sushi comes ready to help your dinners run smoothly, whether with a professionally prepared meal from any of our stunning locations across the city or easy, at-home recipes. No matter what, we pride ourselves on beautiful, cruelty-free meals, and this stunning recipe is no different.
Savor a heartwarming vegan meal at one of our several locations in NYC, or enjoy a night in with our pickup and delivery orders. However you decide to enjoy your plate of our signature vegan cuisine, we look forward to serving you a memorable and delicious meal. Order Now.
Spicy Miso Ramen Recipe
Ramen is far from a simple dish; however, by taking this easy recipe one step at a time, you can make the most of all the possibilities this intricate Japanese classic has to offer!
Before beginning this recipe, be sure to stop by your nearest Asian supermarket and pick up all the ingredients listed below. Because of the unique nature of this dish, many ingredients may be a bit tricky to find.
During your shopping trip, don’t be afraid to experiment! If you’ve ever been curious about how to add more world-inspired cuisine to your diet, this spicy miso ramen recipe is a great place to start. If you see any ingredients that strike your curiosity, pick them up, sample the flavors, and consider adding them to your soup to create your unique take on this easily-customizable dish.
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- 3 brown ramen noodle cakes
- 1/2 pound of chopped bok choy
- 1/2 pound of cabbage
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons of miso paste
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of chili sauce
- Begin by preparing the tofu. Press the excess moisture out of the tofu block using a tofu press. Alternatively, you can press the tofu block between two plates and then slowly press the tofu by placing cookbooks on top, allowing the weight to press the liquid out of the tofu.
- Cut the tofu into slices roughly one inch in thickness. Place these sliced tofu pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook them for roughly twenty minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring roughly half the oil to medium heat in a large soup pot. Add half of the garlic and stir using a wooden spoon, cooking until fragrant. Chop both the bok choy and the cabbage into easily eaten pieces; sautee them in the garlic for around four minutes, until they are fully softened.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms are softened, which should take around three more minutes.
- Add the broth, remaining oil, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and chili sauce. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Sample the broth and adjust the flavors as necessary. For more deep, flavorful heat, add more red pepper flakes. For more salt, add a splash of soy sauce.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, and then cook the noodles according to the instructions on their packaging.
- Once the noodles have fully cooked, remove the pot from the heat entirely.
- Just before serving, mix the miso paste with a small amount of water. Stir this into the soup, give a final stir, and portion the soup into individual bowls. Though it keeps well, this soup is best enjoyed the same day.
Warm, Filling Vegan Dishes at Beyond Sushi
Looking for a new way to enjoy all your favorite Asian classics? Beyond Sushi is waiting and ready to serve no matter where you are in the city.
No matter who is at your dinner party, they’ll savor the chance to enjoy such dishes as:
- Hot miso soup served with a filling root vegetable consomme, miso paste, wakame, tofu, sesame oil, and fresh spring onions
- Chili mushroom soup filled with flavorful, fermented beans, chili, emoji mushrooms, and sliced shiitake, topped with green cilantro
On days when the winter chill makes the idea of leaving your apartment impossible, order pick up or delivery, and allow us to bring fresh, creative vegan cuisine right to your door! Glance through our menu to explore all the ways Beyond Sushi brings worldwide flavor to vegan food near you.