There’s no getting around it; we eat with our eyes, and pretty food just tastes better. Possibly no other sushi better encapsulates that idea than the gorgeous, ever-tasty rainbow roll. Named for the colorful display of fish and avocado that adorns it, this classic roll has risen through the ranks to become a crowd favorite. With help from this rainbow roll recipe from the brilliant minds at Beyond Sushi, diners from any culinary preference can enjoy this classic without sacrificing their ideals!
At Beyond Sushi, our chefs know how to create gorgeous, healthy meal options fit for a cruelty-free lifestyle. Whether you decide to go with a classic– like the rainbow roll– or any of our completely original creations, you’re guaranteed a dining experience you won’t soon forget!
If you’re craving good sushi, save yourself the stress. Treat yourself to a night in, catered by Beyond Sushi. Just read through our menu options for inspiration and take advantage of our easy online ordering system.
Rainbow Roll Fish Substitutes
Though recipes may vary slightly from one restaurant to another, the topping to a traditional rainbow roll consists of four main elements: avocado, salmon, tuna, and yellowtail. Though it can be hard to match the exact flavor of these fish in the home kitchen, with a little patience and lots of preparation, any at-home chef can easily imitate the gorgeous display! All it takes is a little time, a willingness to learn, and an assortment of the right farm-fresh veggies.
Once you’ve prepared the crowning details of this sushi rainbow roll, the rest is as easy as seasoning your rice, preparing your favorite veggie roll, and experimenting with all the flavor possibilities. For more help to come up with new ideas, check out our vegan sushi recipe guide!
To create the ideal substitute for yellowtail, try these soft, perfectly seasoned carrots. Brightly colored with just a hint of vinegar, they’ll provide all the color without any compromises.
- Start by thoroughly washing and peeling a whole carrot. Using either a grater or mandolin, slice the carrots as thin as possible. To have more surface area to play with, slice this carrot longways rather than how you might otherwise typically prepare it.
- Bring rice vinegar, sugar, and water to a rolling boil. The proportions are entirely adjustable, depending on taste.
- Once the liquid comes to a boil, remove the small pot from the heat and fully submerge your carrot slices.
- Allow your carrots to soak in this liquid until softened and fully cooled. At this point, they should be cooked just enough to lay neatly over the surface of your sushi rainbow roll.
This recipe is truly as easy as it sounds. If you’ve spent any time in the vegan lifestyle, you’re likely already familiar with the creamy texture of grilled eggplant and all the possibilities it holds!
- Begin by peeling the eggplant and cutting it into quarters. Using a knife, carefully remove the seeds.
- Brush each piece of the outer flesh with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Grill, sear, or broil the eggplant until it is fully cooked and browned on both sides.
No element of this sushi roll is especially difficult, but this step may take a bit more time. Be sure to plan ahead to allow these tomatoes plenty of time to marinate and soak up all the best flavors!
- Combine sugar, soy sauce, mirin, and a dash of rice vinegar in a large mason jar, stirring until all the ingredients have mixed and the sugar is dissolved.
- Wash and peel two large, ripe tomatoes. Cut the tomato in half, and then remove the seeds with a knife.
- Submerge the tomato halves in the mason jar. Try to be sure to remove as much of the air as possible.
- Allow the tomatoes to marinate for at least two hours before draining out the liquid. It doesn’t take too long for the flavor to soak in, but the longer you allow it to sit, the more it will absorb the salty, tangy flavor!
Vegan Rainbow Roll at Beyond Sushi
Too tired to handle the elaborate preparation? No problem! When in doubt, always turn to the expertise of the Beyond Sushi kitchen. Our Rainbow sushi is made with a base of white rice, with “tuna,” zalmon, marinated carrots, cucumber, avocado, pickled red cabbage, dill, hijiki, lemon zest and smoked pepper sauce, to bring a delicious balance of fresh tangy flavors.
The chefs at Beyond Sushi understand the power of a delicious, beautifully displayed meal. Drawing inspiration from global flavors, these professionals put immense levels of care into every item on the expansive Beyond Sushi menu.
Curious to learn more? Explore our full menu to see what options you can find in any of our gorgeously designed locations around the city. To start sampling for yourself, place an order for pickup or delivery, and let us bring the delightful flavors right to your door.