If you’ve spent any time investigating the ways of a cruelty-free lifestyle, you’re likely familiar with jackfruit. This simple, exotic fruit has taken the vegan world by storm, and for good reason! Because the texture alters so much upon cooking, it can easily take the place of any meat, from fish to pulled pork. Before your next sushi night, stop by your local grocery store and pick up all the ingredients for this delicious, nutritious jackfruit sushi recipe!
Since its founding, Beyond Sushi has worked tirelessly to bring fresh, innovative meals to diners all over the NYC area and beyond. Now, through the use of easy at-home recipes, these same chefs bring all their creativity to kitchens around the world, showcasing the possibilities that lie within a cruelty-free, Earth-conscious diet.
Whether you’re dining in, carrying out, or creating your own delicious vegan recipes from scratch, allow Beyond Sushi to pave your way to an unforgettable meal! For more inspiration, check out our full menu or place an order for pickup/delivery today.
At-Home Jackfruit Sushi Recipe
Looking for a new way to enjoy your at-home sushi night? Look no further!
A perfect alternative to the traditional eel roll, this at-home jackfruit sushi recipe is bound to make its way into your regular weekly meal routine. Sticky-sweet and ever-so-slightly salty, the teriyaki flavoring enhances the subtle sweetness of the jackfruit without overpowering the flavor of the veggies themselves.
Wholesome enough to power you through your day, and light enough not to weigh you down, this jackfruit sushi is perfect either for dinner or as a mid-day snack. This recipe is tailored to create four servings, so feel free to adjust the proportions as necessary to fit your needs.
- 6 sheets of nori
- 1 cup of seasoned sushi rice
- 3 cans of jackfruit
- 2 cucumber
- 1 cup of vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup of teriyaki marinade
- Sesame seeds
- Drain the juice from the canned jackfruit and rinse it under cold water. Using a fork, shred it with a knife. Allow all the excess water to drip from the jackfruit; optionally, you should squeeze it with a towel to remove any extra liquid.
- Bring vegetable oil to medium heat in a pan. Sear the jackfruit and allow it to cook for around five minutes until the texture has softened and the jackfruit has heated all the way through.
- Season with teriyaki sauce and set aside.
- Peel and slice the cucumber into long, thin strips. Cut the vegan cream cheese into similarly sized chunks. TIP: Dip your knife into water between each slice. Though the vegan cream cheese is likely to stick, it will cut cleanly and help you maintain the proportions you are looking for.
- Lay down your bamboo mat. Prepare your nori and seasoned sushi rice as normal.
- Carefully spoon out seasoned jackfruit onto the sushi roll, and lay out the cucumber and cream cheese.
- To finish, roll up the jackfruit sushi, squeezing tightly as you do. The teriyaki sauce and vegan cream cheese will work to hold this treat together and prevent the filling from spilling out.
- Garnish your roll with a sprinkling of sesame seeds, cut out the slices, and enjoy!
Bonus: Spicy Vegan Mayo Dip
For those who prefer a little “kick” to their sushi, stir up some of this quick, easy spicy vegan mayo dip. Once prepared, this dip is good in the refrigerator for one week. Enjoy breaking it out for your sushi night, as a topping for your fries, or even to serve alongside a healthy sliced veggie appetizer.
- Rice wine vinegar
- White sugar
- Soy sauce
- Soak the cashews overnight in water. Be sure to cover them completely and give them plenty of room to swell as they soak up the water and soften. If you don’t have time to fully soak the cashews slowly, boiling them for around twelve minutes will have a similar effect.
- Drain the cashews completely, and then blend them until they’ve reached a completely smooth consistency.
- Add all other ingredients into the blender, and continue to mix them until they have fully combined. Taste as you go in order to make sure you’ve reached the preferred blend of spice and vinegar twang.
- Store your spicy vegan mayo in an airtight jar.
Spicy Vegan Sushi Options with Beyond Sushi
Some prefer mild flavors, and some savor a little extra spice. No matter your preference, Beyond Sushi is ready to serve you!
Enjoy picking from choices like our Spicy “Tuna” roll with white rice, cucumber, and seaweed caviar, or Spicy Mang with black rice, avocado, and veggie slaw. For a delicious way to fight the heat and wash down the flavor, check out our specialty drink menu. You’ll adore choosing from options like our mango, coconut water, and ginger blend.
If you’re leaning more towards a cozy night in over an evening on the town, check out our delivery and pickup options. With our nutritious meal options, take-out can be part of your healthy routine. Explore our menu today!