Even those who self-identify as “picky eaters” have to admit: there’s just something about sushi that’s hard to resist. The contrast of textures and flavors, wrapped securely in rice, means that every bite presents something new. Now, with this healthy vegan sushi bowl recipe from Beyond Sushi in NYC, you can enjoy all that same irresistible flavor at home.
At Beyond Sushi, our chefs know how to create gorgeous, healthy meal options fit for any diner. Whether you decide to go with a classic sushi roll or any of our completely original creations, you’re guaranteed a dining experience you won’t forget. Best of all, every delectable creation is cruelty-free, allowing you to enjoy your meal without sacrificing your values.
On those nights you crave a healthy meal but don’t want to cook, save yourself the stress. Treat yourself to a night in, catered by Beyond Sushi. Just read through our menu options for inspiration and take advantage of our easy online ordering system.
Healthy Vegan Sushi Bowl Recipe
Whether you’re looking for an easy meal prep or a dinner that will fill you up without weighing you down, is there anything better than a sushi bowl?
Rather than relying on heavy portions of rice, this healthy take on a sushi bowl incorporates more veggies. The carefully proportioned blend of sushi rice, fresh vegetables, and vegan proteins will leave you satisfied with your meal and the healthy way this dish fits securely into your diet.
Before starting this recipe, remember the ingredients and steps are not carved in stone; they are only the first guidelines to starting your very own sushi bowl journey. As you gain confidence in your own culinary prowess, take note of which flavors bring you the most joy and satisfaction. From there, take tiny steps towards making healthy vegan sushi bowl recipes of your own, ensuring that you’ll never tire of this style of dish!
- 2/3 cup of cooked sushi rice
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons of corn starch
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 1 handful of crisp romaine lettuce hearts
- 1 small avocado
- 1 carrot
- 3 mini cucumbers
- 1 turnip
- 1 large green onion stalk
- Sesame seeds
- To begin, prepare your tofu. Press the tofu block until all of the excess liquid has been removed. Then, cut it into cubes approximately one inch across on all sides.
- Create a marinade by mixing the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and maple syrup. Allow the tofu to soak in this marinade for at least two hours (preferably overnight).
- Next, slice the veggies for your salad. Though this can be done however you prefer, we suggest cubing the avocado, and then slicing the cucumbers and turnip into thin slices. Shred the carrots into long, thin strips, and dice the romaine lettuce hearts and green onion to your liking.
- After the tofu has fully absorbed the flavors of the marinade, remove it from the mixture and toss the tofu cubes in cornstarch. Bring the peanut oil to medium-high heat in a saucepan, and then pan-fry the tofu cubes until they are golden brown.
- Finally, combine your ingredients. Create a bed of rice. On top of that bed, layer the veggies, avocado, and fried tofu in neatly divided sections, so that all the ingredients stay neatly organized. This will allow you the option to choose the ingredients in every gorgeous bite.
- To complete this dish, sprinkle sesame seeds across the surface of the dish. A final splash of marinade from your tofu provides an extra kick of flavor, and this easy dish is ready to enjoy!
Jaw-Dropping Sushi Options at Beyond Sushi in NYC
This recipe may be easy, but the process of finding, chopping, and organizing the ingredients can take mental energy. On days you can’t muster the effort, turn to the experts at Beyond Sushi for help.
The chefs at Beyond Sushi understand the power of a delicious, beautifully displayed meal. Drawing inspiration from global flavors, these professionals put immense care into every item on the expansive Beyond Sushi menu.
Curious to learn more? Explore our full menu to see what options you can find in any of our gorgeously designed locations around the city. To start sampling for yourself, place an order for pickup or delivery, and let us bring the delightful flavors right to your door.