For many, the most challenging part of adapting to a cruelty-free diet is saying goodbye to those flavors that seem more difficult to replicate. While there are dozens of accessible poultry alternatives, finding a convincing seafood substitute is much harder. Luckily, City Roots Hospitality is here to bridge that gap with fantastic options like this vegan tartare at Beyond Sushi in NYC!
At Beyond Sushi, our chefs know how to create gorgeous, healthy meal options fit for any diner, whether they’re vegan, vegetarian, or just in need of a delicious, wholesome meal. Whether you decide to go with a classic– like the rainbow roll– or any of our completely original creations– like this vegan tartare– you’re guaranteed a dining experience you won’t soon forget!
On those nights when your cravings are strong, save yourself the stress. Treat yourself to a night in, catered by Beyond Sushi. Just read through our menu options for inspiration and take advantage of our easy online ordering system.
Delicious Vegan Tartare
Some foods just taste better when shared. There’s no better example of this rule than the mouthwatering, sharable vegan tartare.
Like every other item on our menu, this plate is completely free from meat, dairy, or any form of animal by-products. Instead, this “salmon” tartare starts with a base of our own seafood substitute, offering all of the flavors with none of the compromises.
At Beyond Sushi, no item on our menu is overly simplistic. This vegan “salmon” tartare is flavored with a unique blend of sesame, ginger, and scallions. Created with creative inclusivity in mind, our expert chefs have taken care to present a sharable dish for anyone to enjoy.
From here, a toasted cayenne sauce adds a kick of spice. But we offer a balance to this hit too with a serving of cool, creamy avocado, creating a complex flavor you won’t soon forget.
Served with a side of taro root chips, this filling, dippable plate makes the perfect appetizer, filling snack, or delicious side to a plate of our signature cruelty-free sushi!
“Salmon” Tartare Recipe
Just one bite of this delicious vegan substitute, and you’ll be wondering how to incorporate it into your weekly meal rotation. Once again, the brilliant minds of Beyond Sushi are here to help.
Though it is difficult to replicate the full flavor and quality of our spicy “salmon” tartare at home, with his simplified recipe, there is no reason you can’t enjoy a simplified take of the big Beyond Sushi flavor whenever you want!
- 2 large carrots
- 1 nori sheet
- 1 cup of hot water
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 teaspoon of chili oil
- 1 small lemon
- 1/2 cup of seaweed salad
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- To begin this recipe, start turning your carrots into “smoked salmon.” Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash your carrots thoroughly, place them on a baking sheet, sprinkle liberally with salt, and bake them for around forty minutes.
- As the carrots cook, prepare your marinade. In a sealable container, mix the soy sauce, water, apple cider vinegar, agave nectar, and garlic powder. Using your hands, pinch the nori into small pieces and mix it into the marinade.
- When the carrots have fully cooked, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool enough to safely handle. Use a vegetable peeler to cut them into strips, and submerge the carrot strips into the marinade. Gently stir the carrots into the marinade, ensuring they are fully coated, and then seal the container.
- Refrigerate these carrots with the marinade for at least twenty-four hours.
- Once the carrots have fully infused with the flavor, reserve a cup of marinade. Set aside, and drain the rest. Cut the carrot strips into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Cut the avocado into cubes. Gently transfer these cubes to a medium-sized mixing bowl, and top the avocado slices with seaweed salad and carrot pieces.
- All that is left is to season and mix! Cut the lemon in half and squeeze as much juice as desired into the mixture. Add a few pinches of lemon zest for additional brightness and a mildly-bitter bite. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of chili oil, then gently stir.
- Serve this mouthwatering dip with a side of pita chips for additional crunch, or use it to top a fresh romaine salad. However you enjoy it, rest assured knowing that it is delicious, nutritious, and entirely your own!
Unforgettable Meals at Beyond Sushi
Curious to learn more about the cruelty-free options available at Beyond Sushi? Explore our full menu to see what options you can find in any of our gorgeously designed locations around the city. To start sampling for yourself, place an order for pickup or delivery, and let us bring the delightful flavors right to your door.