Mushroom Salad at Beyond Sushi in NYC
There once was an age in which following a cruelty-free lifestyle meant accepting certain sacrifices; thankfully, those days are long gone! With so many meat replacements and common knowledge around more natural forms of protein, vegan dining has never been easier. No meal better encapsulates that concept better than the crowd-pleasing mushroom salad at Beyond Sushi in NYC!
The brilliant minds behind the Beyond Sushi menu take care to make the most of every meal, ensuring you’ll never need to snack through a dull, lifeless salad again. With creative, filling options, it’s never been easier to enjoy that same level of care in another of our series of easy, at-home recipes
Don’t you feel like breaking out the kitchen utensils just yet? No problem! Simply check out the online ordering system, read through our expansive menu, and place an order for pickup or delivery.
Applewood Smoked Oyster Mushroom Bowl
If you’ve any familiarity with the Beyond Sushi experience, then you already know that nothing we do is simplified. That includes our fan-favorite bowl, the Applewood Smoked Oyster Mushroom Salad!
A bed of crisp romaine lettuce forms the base of this delicious meal, holding true to the cool flavor that so many crave in a mushroom salad. Savory house-smoked oyster mushrooms keep this dish filling, while vegan bac’n bits add a salty touch.
Fresh, creamy avocado contrasts with the sharpness of brined red onions in this dish, keeping your tastebuds dancing. Charred sesame and grated “parmesan” both serve a similar purpose: adding a delicate burst of flavor while also serving as the garnish to this dish.
Finally, creamy hijiki dressing ties this tasty bowl together, drizzling every component in a unifying flair. Somehow both are hearty enough to keep diners full and light enough not to weigh you down. This bowl has it all!
Mushroom Salad Recipe for Home
Just a few bites of the mushroom salad at Beyond Sushi in NYC will have you wondering how to recreate this meal at home.
No worries! As usual, our chefs are here to help.
It’s hard to fully recreate the complex flavors of a Beyond Sushi meal, but this easy, at-home alternative comes close. Though oyster mushrooms are perfectly fine to eat raw, they can have a tough, chewy texture when uncooked. For this recipe, we suggest stir-frying these veggies to perfection first.
- Romaine salad (chopped as desired)
- 2 cups of oyster mushrooms
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh, diced mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh, diced cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 clove of garlic
- Drizzle of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin this recipe by cooking and preparing your mushrooms. Bring a sautee pan to medium heat and drizzle vegetable oil into the preheated pan. Crush and dice your garlic clove, and then toast in the pan until golden brown.
- Toss the chopped oyster mushrooms and sliced shallots into the pan, taking care not to overcrowd them. Allow the mushroom to cook for at least six minutes, or until the edges of the mushrooms are toasted to a crisp finish. Once cooked, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the olive oil, grated ginger, brown sugar, and lime juice in a medium bowl. Using a fork, whip the ingredients together until combined. Add the mint and cilantro, then continue stirring.
- Add the chopped romaine salad to the bowl and toss until fully covered in dressing. Finally, add your cooked veggies, mix as desired, and enjoy! Combining the still-warm, savory mushrooms, and sharp, citrusy dressing will surely delight the senses and keep you fueled all through your day.
More Mushroom Favorites at Beyond Sushi in NYC
It’s fantastic that we live in a world with so many vegan options to choose from, but few alternatives are quite as delicious as a simple mushroom. At Beyond Sushi, we take pride in presenting a wide selection of cruelty-free dishes, many of which take advantage of a diverse range of mushrooms.
Select from among:
- The Mighty Mushroom roll, made using black rice, shiitake, and enoki mushrooms, tofu, fresh micro arugula, and a drizzle of shiitake truffle sauce
- Our Shiitake Truffle Dumplings, stuffed with braised shiitake, baked tofu, spinach, dark soy, porcini mushrooms, chili panko, micro arugula, shiitake truffle, and spicy bean sauce
- The Smoky Dragon roll, filled with smoked oyster mushrooms, avocado, cilantro, charred eggplant unagi, seaweed roe, and ponzu glaze
You’ll find nothing on our full menu but fresh, inclusive options fit for guests of any dietary need. Enjoy a meal within any of our conveniently located restaurants all over the city, or place an order for pickup or delivery. Let us bring the flavor to your door!