At first glance, mushrooms and meat may not appear to have a single thing in common. Where meat is heavy, mushrooms are light; where meat is solid and greasy, mushrooms are porous and fresh. However, with a little know-how, mushrooms easily transform into the perfect meat replacement. No vegan recipe showcases that flexibility than this savory, nutritious mushroom chili!
Beyond Sushi may have originally made its mark through its innovative, vegan takes on sushi, but the creative minds behind those kitchen doors did not stop there. Through vegan recipes and helpful guides to a plant-based lifestyle, they take their mission seriously: showing the ease of a vegan diet to diners all over New York City and beyond!
To learn more about all Beyond Sushi brings to the table, check out our menu options. Ready to sample the flavors for yourself? Take advantage of our easy online ordering system, and have your meal delivered or ready for pickup.
Beyond Sushi’s Plant-Based Chili
At Beyond Sushi, we hone in on two specialties: fully innovative, original dishes and vegan twists on old classics.
When adapting a classic flavor into a newly vegan favorite, our chefs start by examining what made that dish so beloved in the first place. They keep the original concept in mind every step of the way, ensuring that the finished product contains all the heart of the original dish.
Take, for example, Beyond Sushi’s Mushroom Chili.
This warm, savory soup is filling to the last bite, ensuring that this is a meal you won’t step away from hungry. Starting with a protein-rich base of fermented beans, our chefs pile on the chilis, creating a hearty flavor with just the right amount of “kick.”
Rather than falling back onto cheap, bland alternatives, this soup contains a blend of flavorful enoki and shitake mushrooms. A sprinkling of cilantro makes the perfect, bright contrast to the heavier seasonings and umami.
From the first bite to the last, guests will enjoy the earthy flavorings unique to this new, vegan take on an old classic.
Mushroom Chili: Vegan Recipes for Home
As always, the chefs at Beyond Sushi take their time coaxing the greatest possible flavors from their fresh ingredients. From fermenting the beans to selecting the ingredients, this soup benefits from years of experience and hours of patience.
However, with the help of this simplified vegan recipe, you’ll have no problem making your own version at home! Break out your largest pot, make your grocery list, and get ready to tackle a new version of this wholesome, filling soup.
- 3 cups of baby bella mushrooms
1 large yellow onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
2 cans of black beans
2 cans of tomato sauce
- 1 can of whole tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons of chili powder
1 tablespoon of white sugar
2 tablespoons of cumin
Cilantro (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
- Start by preparing your ingredients. Mince baby bella mushrooms, jalapenos, and garlic. In a separate pile, dice your yellow onion and bell pepper.
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat. Drizzle your olive oil in the bottom, and then saute mushrooms, jalapenos, garlic, yellow onion, and bell pepper together. Continue cooking until all ingredients are fully softened and no residual juices remain in the bottom of the pot.
- Add the can of whole tomatoes, including the juice. Using a wooden spoon, break apart the tomatoes into bite-sized chunks, then allow them to stew with the other vegetables for around five to ten minutes.
- Add the black beans and tomato sauce to the mixture, and stir to fully incorporate all ingredients.
- Season your vegan mushroom chili using chili powder, cumin, sugar, and salt. Feel free to taste as you go and adjust proportions as necessary.
- Allow your soup to simmer on medium-low heat for another fifteen or twenty minutes until all the flavors have fully melded.
- Just before serving, garnish each bowl with a pinch of freshly chopped cilantro.
Filling Meals with Beyond Sushi
When done right, vegan mushroom chili can easily make for the perfect mid-day pick-me-up. Each bowl should be fresh for up to five days when refrigerated or three months when frozen.
Wholesome without greasiness, filling but fresh, this vegan recipe is the ideal start to weekly meal prep! All it takes is a bit of patience, practice, and extra time.
For days when time doesn’t seem to be on your side, take advantage of the easy online ordering system to pick up your bowl on the go. For more delicious options, explore our full menu to see all the options Beyond Sushi presents for a healthy, cruelty-free lifestyle.