Eggplants may have been named for their similarity to eggs. Still, this tasty, nutritious plant fits neatly within any cruelty-free diet. Low in calories but high in antioxidants, eggplants have a mild, pleasant flavor that pairs perfectly with any combination of tastes, ensuring a comfortable place on any menu. Before your next sushi night, consider using this eggplant sushi recipe from Beyond Sushi, NYC!
If there’s one thing we know in the Beyond Sushi kitchen, it’s how to assemble a gorgeous array of stunning sushi, all completely vegan! Rather than settling for boring, overpriced veggie sushi options, make the most of your night with help from the creative minds at Beyond Sushi.
On those nights, your cravings are strong, but your energy is weak, don’t stress yourself out with cooking. Instead, treat yourself to a night in, catered by Beyond Sushi. Read through our menu options for inspiration and take advantage of our easy online ordering system.
Tips for Cooking with Eggplant
To a newcomer, tackling an unfamiliar vegetable can be a bit daunting, especially when so much of a recipe hinges on preparing this one ingredient. Don’t worry! With just a bit of guidance, you’ll have no problem transforming this spongey, slightly bitter veggie into something smooth, creamy, and perfect for your sushi roll!
When selecting the proper eggplant, the first thing you should look at is the texture of the skin. The perfect eggplant will have a slick, plump surface free from scars or dimples. Regardless of size, the eggplant should be heavy and firm; when you feel across the skin, there should be no mushy, bruised bits.
When it comes to storing the eggplant, you’ll want to act quickly. This delicate vegetable doesn’t stay fresh for long! Because this plant is naturally grown in warm climates, it is best to store it for no more than three days in a warm, dry area of the house far from the fridge.
Though it can take a bit of adjusting to learn your way around this veggie, the benefits are far worth the effort! Because of the high amount of antioxidants, this plant is a favorite for anyone struggling with blood sugar, inflammation, or weight loss. The heart-healthy nutrients make this a great way to accommodate dinner guests, no matter their dietary or health requirements!
Eggplant Sushi Recipe
All too often, sushi restaurants fail to provide fresh, creative vegan options. Rather than taking the time to explore flavors, they simply stock the menu with simple, one-veggie options: avocado rolls, asparagus rolls, and the like.
When you’re in the mood for more flavor, break out your rice cooker, grab your veggies, and get ready to enjoy this eggplant sushi recipe!
- 2 cups of seasoned sushi rice
- Nori sheets (for rolling)
- 2 Japanese eggplants
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of mirin
- 1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Sprinkle of salt
- Drizzle vegetable oil
- To prepare the eggplants, remove the skin and slice each eggplant into roughly 1/3-inch thick strips. Each strip should be left as long as possible to make it easier to roll into sushi. Salt both sides of the eggplant pieces and let them sit for around twenty minutes to season.
- Heat the drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Using a kitchen towel, pat each eggplant piece dry. Cook the eggplant pieces in the pan until golden.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar, mirin, and rice wine vinegar to the pan. Turn the heat to low and cook the eggplant in the sauce until the watery consistency thickens and reduces.
- Remove the pan from the heat until the sauce and veggies cool.
- Spoon out and flatten your sushi rice, top it with nori, and then prepare your sushi as you would any other sushi roll! Place the warm (but not steaming) eggplant in the center of the rice, roll it tightly, then cut it into sushi. Before serving, pour your extra sauce over the top, and sprinkle your sushi with sesame seeds and diced green onions for an extra pop of color and flavor.
Mouthwatering Sushi Options at Beyond Sushi
Your dinner guests are sure to be amazed by your ability to roll up delicious, creative vegan sushi, but sometimes, it’s natural to want a night off. Next time you want a relaxing night out– after which you don’t have to clean the kitchen– turn to the mouthwatering vegan sushi options at Beyond Sushi!
You’ll find nothing on our full menu, but fresh, inclusive options fit for guests of any dietary need. The combination of special rolls and classics– all elevated by the unique Beyond Sushi flair– guarantee creative flavors, fresh ingredients, and filling wholesomeness.
Enjoy a meal within any of our conveniently located restaurants all over the city, or place an order for pickup or delivery. Let us bring the flavor to your door!