Vegan Satay Recipe and Sauce from Beyond Sushi in NYC
To an untrained eye, cooking many Asian classics might initially seem daunting. With rich flavors and unique ingredients, this cuisine often appears far more complicated than it actually is, making it the ideal food to impress guests at your next dinner party! Of all the simple places to start, few recipes are much easier than this vegan satay recipe and sauce from Beyond Sushi in NYC.
As always, Beyond Sushi comes ready to help your dinners and events run smoothly. Our chefs are ready to provide the help and support you need to savor every moment of your cruelty-free lifestyle, either with a professionally-prepared meal or something new in the comfort of your own kitchen. We pride ourselves on our ability to provide creative vegan meal options.
No matter your evening– whether it’s spent on the town or around your own dinner table– rest assured that the chefs at Beyond Sushi are ready to help! Diners will love any option on our full menu. For added convenience, place an order for pickup or delivery today! Order Now.
Easy Vegan Satay Recipe and Sauce
Also known as “sate,” satay is every bit as easy to make as it is to eat.
With its shish-kabob style, this makes the perfect meal option no matter your event. Serve it at a party and allow your guests to snack as they socialize. For a more casual gathering, serve it as the full entree. Just be sure to prepare enough for seconds; after just one bite, your guests are sure to want them.
To prepare this dish, simply plan enough time for your ingredients to marinate throughout the day while you’re at work. Then, come home, assemble your shish-kabobs, and complete the final steps in a matter of minutes!
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium purple onion
- 7 baby bella mushrooms
- 1 block of extra-firm tofu (pressed)
- 30 grape tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of curry powder
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 1/3 cup of warm water
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of sriracha
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Vegetable oil (just a drizzle)
- To begin this recipe, prepare the marinade. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the coconut milk, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, curry powder, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt.
- Mince the garlic cloves, and stir them into the marinade. Give it a final, vigorous whisk until all the ingredients are fully combined.
- Next, prepare the vegetables. Cut the yellow and red bell peppers and onions into bite-sized pieces. Similarly, cut the baby bella mushrooms into quarters. Be sure to press all excess liquid out of the tofu prior to cutting it into pieces as well.
- Toss the tofu and all the veggies (including the whole grape tomatoes) in the marinade, and then leave them to soak for at least thirty minutes.
- As the veggies soak in the marinade, prepare your sauce. In a bowl, combine the warm water, soy sauce, brown sugar, sriracha, lime juice, and garlic powder. Whisk this until the brown sugar dissolves, then add the peanut butter. Continue whisking until all the ingredients are fully combined.
- Finally, prepare and cook the satay! Run the vegetables and tofu along a skewer. We suggest using metal, but if you prefer a wooden option, remember to soak the bamboo skewers in water to prevent the edges from burning.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat; add a drizzle of vegetable oil. Place the skewers in the pan to cook and sear the satay, turning it occasionally so that the contents are evenly brown.
- When the satay has fully and evenly cooked, serve it hot, alongside a generous scoop of homemade sauce. To flex your creative muscles, drizzle the sauce along the plate in an attractive pattern, serving the satay in the center to awe your guests;
Delicious Asian Cuisine from Beyond Sushi in NYC
Looking for more inspired, creative Asian options, all cruelty-free? No problem! Join us at any of our conveniently located restaurants. Whether you’re looking for a lunch out of the office or feel like treating your friends to a meal they won’t soon forget, Beyond Sushi is readily available with delicious vegan offerings everyone will love.
Don’t feel like leaving the comfort of your own home? Beyond Sushi makes ordering easy with both pickup and delivery options. You are guaranteed to find something to love on our completely vegan, kosher menu!