When cold weather drives the world indoors, nothing can be more comforting than a bowl of delicious, hearty stew. Practicing a cruelty-free lifestyle doesn’t have to mean sacrificing this simple joy! Follow this simple vegan vegetable stew recipe to enjoy your favorite comfort food, served in a new, fresh way.
Filled with rich, savory broth and a mix of your favorite winter vegetables, you’ll no doubt enjoy making this dish all winter long. Backed by the vitamins provided by this healthy mix of carrots and butternut squash, this soup has the nutrition you need to avoid those winter colds and stay healthy through the chill.
If the weather has you feeling too groggy to cook, allow Beyond Sushi to remove the pressure. Enjoy a hearty vegan meal at one of our several locations in NYC, or enjoy ordering your meal online for either pickup or delivery. However you decide to enjoy your plate, we look forward to serving you a memorable and delicious meal. Order Now.
Tips for Making the Perfect Stew
While all soup can be comforting on a certain level, there’s nothing quite like enjoying a bowl of rich, hearty stew. The perfect stew should have two elements: flavorful, thick broth and chunks of rich veggies.
Creating the perfect vegan vegetable stew doesn’t happen by accident; it takes time, practice, and preparation. Before taking on this recipe, check out these easy tips:
Take Advantage of Fresh Herbs
While dried herbs are perfectly fine in most recipes, using fresh herbs will really take this stew to the next level. To create the ideal broth, we recommend investing in thick, green sprigs of thyme and rosemary. For a sharper, almost spicy richness, dice your herbs finely and mix directly into your stew. If you prefer a mellow, milder flavor, try adding whole sprigs of these herbs, allowing the flavors to meld, then removing the herbs right before digging into your stew.
For a bright finish and beautiful color contrast, sprinkle a bit of freshly diced parsley on top of the soup before serving. The mild, peppery flavor will perfectly compliment the savory base to your step, elevating your overall dish into something truly special.
Be Aware of Timing
Not all vegetables are created equal; be aware that each veggie requires a different cooking time. While your potatoes require a long roasting time at high heat, the same treatment would leave your carrots burnt, dry, and chewy. When roasting your veggies, be sure to check frequently and remove any veggies that seem to brown more quickly.
For the greatest control, roast your vegetables first, then allow them to finish cooking in your stew so that the flavors can properly meld. Ideally, you should roast all your vegetables until they’ve reached the same consistency, still flavorful but soft and easy to eat.
Vegan Vegetable Stew Recipe
Without further ado, get ready to take on your new favorite vegan vegetable stew recipe.
Begin by gathering your ingredients. Proportions can easily be adjusted to fit your personal preferences; feel free to experiment with different flavors to truly make this stew your own.
- 1 diced onion
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 cup of button mushrooms
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 carrots
- 3 yellow potatoes
- 1 cup of diced butternut squash
- 8 oz of tomato sauce
- Olive oil
- Italian red wine vinegar
- Salt/ pepper
- Dice all vegetables to your desired, bite-sized thickness. In an oven, begin roasting the potatoes, carrots, and butternut squash. These vegetables should cook until almost completely done. Once they are soft when pressed with a fork without completely falling apart, you’ll know they’re ready.
- In a pan, sautee your mushrooms in an oiled pot with salt and pepper until completely browned. Add onions, garlic, and celery. Stir using a wooden spoon, taking care to scrape up any pieces that may stick to the bottom. These will enhance the flavor of the broth.
- Once the mushrooms have cooked, pour the vegetable broth and tomato sauce into the pot, mix thoroughly, and bring to a simmer. Add your herbs and a splash of red wine vinegar to your personal taste.
- At this point, you can add your roasted vegetables to the stew. Be sure to mix carefully so that the potatoes don’t fall apart. Allow the flavors to mingle over low heat for another five or ten minutes.
- Mix any final herbs or seasonings, then use cornstarch to thicken your base into the creamy, rich broth so commonly associated with a classic stew.
- Pour into separate bowls, top with a handful of fresh parsley, and enjoy!
When the winter wind blows in gray skies, it’s natural to feel your energy and motivation to cook drop completely. On those days, turn to Beyond Sushi for help!
We use only the freshest, most local ingredients to create vegan comfort food even the pickiest eater will enjoy. If you’re in the mood for warm, comforting meals like stew, explore our menu to find options like shiitake mushroom dumplings, vegan miso soup, and delicious black sesame avocado cookies.
Our wide menu brings worldwide flavor to a local scale, providing the best, heartiest vegan meals. Enjoy the beautiful decor of our local restaurants or take advantage of our online ordering options to have us bring the flavor to you.